REPORT: Bernard Parker and Helder Pelembe scored stunners as MTN8 holders Chiefs drew 1-1 with Celtic

Bernard Parker and Helder Pelembe scored stunning goals as MTN8 holders Kaizer Chiefs drew 1-1 with Bloemfontein Celtic in the first leg of their semi-final on Sunday afternoon.

Bloemfontein Celtic were hoping to use home gound advantage in the MTN8 Cup semi-final first leg clash against Kaizer Chiefs .

However, it was Chiefs who began the game like a house on fire forcing Celtic goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb into stunning saves in the opening 10 minutes.

Amakhosi winger George Lebese combined with Bernard Parker inside the Celtic box in the 2nd minute, before his left-footed attempted was blocked by Tignyemb.

The Cameroonian was again called into action in the 9th minute, diving to his right to deny Chiefs captain Siphiwe Tshabalala, who had unleashed a powerful from range.

In the 15th minute, Siwelele came close to breaking the deadlock when Lerato Lamola’s header from close range went narrowly wide of Itumeleng Khune’s goal.

Amakhosi center-back Erick Mathoho made a crucial challenge on the half-hour mark to deny hard-running striker Lamola a shot at goal.

Three minutes later, striker Helder Pelembe unleashed a thunderous strike from range to beat Khune hands down, much to the delight of the Celtic bench.

Amakhosi were handed a lifeline as they won a penalty in the 40th minute after Celtic captain Bevan Fransman was adjudged to have pulled Siphelele Mthembu down inside the box.

However, Amakhosi striker Bernard Parker ballooned his spot-kick over without troubling Tignyemb.

Eight minutes into the second-half, Chiefs striker Mthembu lost his marker on the right hand side, before unleashing towards goal, but Tignyemb was well-positioned to make a good save.

The goal finally came three minutes after the hour-mark, when Parker ‘s wonderful first-time long range strike sailed into the top corner. 

In the 81st minute, Celtic defender Alfred Ndengane was booked for a dangerous foul on Kgotso Moleko inside the Chiefs box.

Both teams attacked in numbers in search of the winning goal, but it never came, and the encounter ended in a 1-1 draw.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s